The Chave family is based in a small village on the northern right bank of the Rhone. There have been Chaves growing vines on the famous Hermitage hill since 1481. Gerard Chave took over from his father in 1970 and rapidly achieved megastar status due to the extraordinary quality of his wines and has since passed on the winemaking responsibilities to his son Jean-Louis. Their unmatched meticulousness continues through five centuries to render venerable expressions of the purest of Rhône terroir.
Since the 1990s, Jean-Louis Chave has offered a second label known as ‘J.L. Chave Sélection’ that provides a glimpse of the reason for the estate’s fame at a fraction of the price. Many of these wines are from declassified estate wine and long term farming contracts, and are vinified in the domaine’s primary cellar in Mauves.