Jean Fillioux Coganc XO Grande Reserve Grande Champagne France 750 mL


Jean Fillioux XO Grande Reserve
90-95 rating Wine Enthusiast

“The opening whiffs pick up luscious aromas of nutmeg, cinnamon and white raisins; further aeration introduces traces of hard cheese, oak/vanillin, dried fruit, black pepper and almond paste. At palate entry the early-on taste includes nuts and butter cream; the viscous texture and nut butter/oaky/maple-like flavor is highlighted at midpalate. Finishes regally without any alcohol heat and plenty of lip-smacking sautéed almond. In a word, scrumptious.”

SKU: 856244004096 Category:


THE ESTATE Jean Fillioux “La Pouyade”
“Haut juché, juche le plus haut“, beautiful and noble motto which gives an identity to our past, our history, our traditions, a few words at the foot of a majestic Rooster, the coat of arms of our family that we would translate by: ” Go high to see far ”.

Perched on top of a hill, our beautiful estate La Pouyade, has been in our family since 1894. Its imposing residence overlooks our magnificent vineyard, located in the heart of Grande Champagne, 1er Cru du Cognac (1909).

The 25 hectare vineyard of the Domaine de la Pouyade is located in Juillac-le-Coq, in the heart of the best of Grande Champagne also called “the golden triangle” (Angeac-Champagne, Verrières and Juillac le Coq). The establishment of the vines on this limestone fault and the exposure of the vineyard on the very sunny produce a wine ideal for distillation.

Ugni Blanc, the major grape variety of the Domaine de la Pouyade’s vineyards, brings all the qualities necessary for the wine to be distilled: fine and delicate wine, degree between 9% and 11%, high acidity, and poor in tannins. For a few years now, we have also been experimenting with Folignan – a cross between Folle Blanche and Ugni Blanc which offers the aromatic qualities of the first and resistance and strength of the second.

You will naturally have to be patient to taste … the result!

The ageing process is one of our specialties.

The barrels used for ageing are made of French oak, approximately 90% is from the Limousin region. It is a loose-grain tree that releases its tannins and aromas widely. The other 10% are barrels from the Tronçay forest, a tight-grained oak that brings other families of aromas.

In addition, the barrels are chosen by our cellar masters Christophe and Pascal, directly from the coopers. Rare fact, they work with many Charentais coopers in order to obtain a great diversity of barrels: Taransaud, Leroi, Radoux, Sansaud, Marchive… This diversity of casks allows a greater aromatic palette of eau-de-vie. Ideal for our blending possibilities but also perfectly suited for an atypical “Single Cask”!

Most of the young “JEAN FILLIOUX” Cognacs are aged in “red” barrels. These “second filled” caks are barrels which have contained Cognacs for 5 to 10 years. It tends to keep all the elegance and freshness of the fruit (the grape) and are often more floral.

The spirits which are intented to age for 20 years and more, are put in new barrels for 3 to 5 years. Then they will be placed in old barrels so that the tannins of the wood are melted and softened (astringency and bitterness). After 20 years, the wood will deliver all the power of its aromas, honey, vanilla, coconut, cinnamon, spices and carry the aromas of fruits (orange, pear, tangerine, banana) and flowers (jasmine, rose, wallflower, spring flowers).

As the ageing unfolds, the aromas of fresh fruit will become aromas of ripe fruit, then candied fruit, spicy aromas will develop, and this is the long road to “rancio”.

Additional information

Weight 48 oz
Dimensions 5 × 5 × 17 in