The people behind the vines: Napa’s historic Freemark Abbey WineryWeekly Wine & Spirit Specials
About the winery
For a young country 126 years is a long time to be in the wine biz and Freemark Abbey established in 1886 has survived prohibition and several changes in ownership and had two wines representing the United States at the famous “Judgement of Paris” tasting in 1976. Yet through all the changes the original, handmade stone winery house built in the 1890′s still stands and their vineyard holdings in Napa produce prime Cabernet Sauvignon. Freemark Abbey owns the Bosche vineyard and a 1972 Bosche Cab was featured at the famous “judgement of Paris” in 1976.
The vineyards were originally established in the late 1800′s by Josephine Tychson. There is an abundance of excellent women winemakers and proprietors now but it was very rare amongst the pioneers of the California wine industry. The first change of ownership was in 1939 when Charles Freeman, Marquand Foster and Albert “Abbey” Ahem bought the place and gave it its current name “Freemark Abbey” which is an amalgamation of the three owner’s name and does not refer to a monastery. Through the years Freemark Abbey has stuck to their guns and made excellent, traditional varietal wine from top Napa vineyards. They helped to make Napa history and are an integral part of it as well.
Freemark Abbey wines available at Mora’s